≡ Menu

How to Clean a Glass Shower the Easy Way

How to Clean a Glass Shower the Easy Way

How to clean a glass shower doesn’t seem like a very exciting topic. However, if you’ve ever spent hours scrubbing shower walls in vain to remove mold or hard water spots, you know how important it is to find the right cleaning tips. With the proper advice and tools, you can turn backbreaking scrubbing into a simple cleaning process.

Cleaning the shower is one of my least favorite chores. I would rather clean any other part of the bathroom twice than tackle the shower once. Consequently, in the past, I’ve been pretty lazy about it. When we moved to our current house, I knew that I had to step up my game. Our master shower has two glass walls and a glass door. Thankfully the previous owners took great care of the shower. I did not have to deal with years of built up hard water stains and soap scum before starting a regular cleaning routine. (To those who have dealt with or are currently facing these issues, I’m so sorry.) But I knew that it would be important to clean the shower regularly to keep it in top condition.

The following details the simple steps I follow daily and weekly to maintain a beautiful glass shower free of streaks, hard water stains, soap scum, and mold.

Step 1: Use a squeegee daily. | http://www.roseclearfield.com

The less water is left on glass following a shower, the less water dries on the glass, simplifying the cleaning job. Taking one minute to squeegee the glass after a shower makes a huge difference in the overall condition of the glass. No, we don’t squeegee after every single shower, but I try to use the squeegee at least once a day. Depending on the number of showers taken daily in your glass shower, you may need to use it multiple times per day. You can pick up a squeegee at any big box store or save yourself the hassle and order on from Amazon.

Step 2: Leave the shower door open and run the fan following showers daily. | http://www.roseclearfield.com

Leaving the shower door open and running the bathroom fan immediately following a shower helps to further reduce the amount of water left in the shower, minimizing mold growth and simplifying the cleaning job. I leave the shower door open while I finish getting ready in the bathroom. Even with an open top shower, water still dries on the door and gets trapped in and around the base of the door. Leaving the door open minimizes these issues. If I run the fan, I run it once I’m out of the bathroom because it’s pretty noisy. If you don’t mind leaving the fan running while you’re taking a shower or immediately afterward, let it run.

Step 3: Spray a no scrub shower cleaner in the bottom of the shower daily. | http://www.roseclearfield.com

The no scrub shower spray (I buy it at Target) is more for preventing mold growth on the tile than glass but is still key for the overall cleaning process. I’ve been using a no scrub spray since my college days when I had a lot of gross roommates who didn’t want to clean anything ever in an effort to keep the shower tolerable. It’s simple, inexpensive, and effective. I spray it once I’m finished getting ready and am going to shut the shower door. Sometimes the cats check out the shower while it’s still wet, and I don’t want them getting into it. If you don’t have this issue, you can spray it whenever.

Step 4: Clean the inside of the shower with a mix of equal parts Dawn and vinegar weekly. | http://www.roseclearfield.com

The Dawn / vinegar mix is the heart of my shower cleaning routine and really the reason for this post because it has changed my entire outlook on cleaning a shower or tub. It sounds dramatic, I know, but a dreaded chore becoming an easy chore is huge. I did a lot of research about varying glass shower cleaning solutions and ended up settling on equal parts Dawn and vinegar.

I use a spray bottle for the majority of the job and a soap filled sponge (again, pick one up at Target) for the edges and any problem areas (i.e. spots prone to getting stubborn hard water stains). Simply fill up the spray bottle and sponge with equal parts Dawn and vinegar and apply the solution. Once you’ve applied the solution to the entire shower, let it sit for a couple minutes. Then use the hand held shower head to rinse down the shower. I lay down a couple towels on the bathroom floor before rinsing in case some water leaks out around the door. That’s it! You don’t have to do any scrubbing whatsoever.

Dawn mixed with vinegar smells pretty strong. If you don’t like a powerful vinegar smell, you can mix in a few drops of essential oil. Some people complain about this solution because Dawn is one of the more expensive dish soaps. First, Dawn is one of my all-time favorite products. Yes, it is more expensive, but it’s worth every penny. Second, unless you’re cleaning multiple showers or tubs daily, you don’t use that much solution. For the level of effectiveness with no scrubbing and the fact that it gets the job done with no chemicals, again, it’s worth it.

~

I love the Dawn / vinegar solution and use it for the master bathroom tub and guest bathroom tub as well. Simply spray on the solution, let it sit for a couple minutes, and then rinse the tub thoroughly. Typically I use a large plastic cup for the rinsing. If you have a hand held shower head, you can always use it to rinse a tub, too.

Step 5: Clean the outside of the shower with Windex weekly. | http://www.roseclearfield.com

To clean the outside of the shower, I use regular Windex. I think that it works perfectly and doesn’t leave any streaks. If you want to use a natural solution, there are lots of options available. Simply search “natural glass shower cleaner” on Pinterest. I love the idea of using natural cleaning products whenever possible, but until I use up my current Windex supply, I’m sticking with it.

Finally, if mold growth does occur in the shower, I tackle it with bleach. I keep a spray bottle with diluted bleach (16 oz water with a splash of bleach) in the master bathroom. I spray the bleach solution on the mold and let it sit with the bathroom fan running for about 10 minutes before I take a shower. I use the hand held shower head to wash away the bleach. Depending on the degree of mold growth, you may need to repeat this process daily.

I know that it seems like a lot of steps. Once you get into the routine, you can complete the daily tasks in under two minutes and the weekly tasks in under 10 minutes.

A solution with equal parts Dawn and vinegar cleans a glass shower quickly and effectively. I share my other simple glass shower cleaning tips as well. | http://www.roseclearfield.com

Do you have any tips for how to clean a glass shower?
Feel free to leave them in the comments!

~

More household resources:

My 5 Favorite Pinterest Cleaning Hacks | http://www.roseclearfield.com

My 5 Favorite Pinterest Cleaning Hacks

10 Quick Decluttering Projects to Organize Your Home | http://www.roseclearfield.com

10 Quick Decluttering Projects to Organize Your Home

$10 and Under Throw Pillows on Amazon. Decorate your home beautifully without breaking the bank! | http://www.roseclearfield.com

$10 and Under Throw Pillows on Amazon

{ 29 comments… add one }
  • Edi August 9, 2016, 7:51 pm

My parents have a glass shower and they use the squeegee and spray daily as well.
    I just cleaned our shower last week and I agree…it’s the worst task! I’ll definitely give the Dawn and vinegar a try next time.

• Tori March 24, 2017, 6:06 am

All you have to do is treat the glass with rainX every few months and you’ll never have this problem. RainX now has a product for shower doors, but I always just use the product for the car, it’s less expensive.

• Rose March 24, 2017, 8:45 am

I have used RainX on exterior windows and like it but don’t love it. I’d be hesitant to use it on an interior glass feature.

• Pamela August 11, 2016, 9:41 am

Although I don’t have a Glass Shower – just your basic tile’s, but love the Dawn and Vinegar idea. Having both on hand – I am going to definitely try that.
    I am one who feels that a clean kitchen and clean bathroom says a lot about a person! Thanks for the great tips – vinegar and newspaper is a great “old fashion” way to greatly clean windows – even beats Windex!

• Judy Nolan August 14, 2016, 1:06 pm

Great tips!

• Duni August 15, 2016, 9:24 am

We have a glass shower too. We need to use the squeegee after every shower plus I use a spray on the glass. I don’t like this chore either…

• Me October 12, 2016, 9:01 pm

What do you use when you have a marble shower? You cannot use vinegar or anything acidic; not even Windex! No lemons, nothing commercial. I scrub my marble with a scrubby as above using Dawn but it does not come clean. I squeegee daily and the glass looks pretty good but I have hard water and I know it can look better. Any suggestions?

• Rose October 16, 2016, 8:31 pm

Unfortunately, I don’t know. 🙁 Good luck!

• Jenny December 10, 2016, 2:31 pm

Spray just a little furniture polish on the glass inside and buff off with a soft cloth. It will take off water marks and repels water.

• Scott July 24, 2017, 3:29 am

We had the same issue, and we decided to softening our water! It removes calcium, magnesium, is more compatible with soap so better lathering, and it extends the lifetime of your plumbing!

• Tawna December 7, 2016, 9:50 pm

Thanks for the tip I will have to try. I didn’t have glass doors growing up and as an adult I don’t but I’m now working cleaning people home and have come across lots of glass showers and they are the death of me. But I’m gonna try this out and hope it says me 45 mins if scrubbing ?

• Rose December 7, 2016, 9:53 pm

Best of luck!!

• Jenny December 10, 2016, 2:37 pm

Spray just a little furniture polish on the inside glass and buff off with a soft cloth. Removes build-up and water runs off better. Clean outside glass with a mixture of water and alcohol. Also does great on mirrors and windows.

• Rose December 10, 2016, 5:49 pm

Thanks for the tips, Jenny!

• Leann Poff December 21, 2016, 12:35 pm

I use dawn & vinegar in a spray bottle. I don’t follow their receipe ~~I fill a spray bottle 3/4 full with vinegar, completely fill with water & squirt a few drops of DAWN BLUE DISH DETERGENT~~just enough dawn to turn the contents *LIGHT* blue. I spay tub & shower after each use& spray doors & glass shower tracks. I don’t rinse. I also spray this inside of the toilet in all bathrooms once a day & it helps keep the toilets cleaner. Has kept my 40 year old *melmac* (not what it actually is BUT that’s what I call it). This mix keeps the shower clean & mold free!,, I also keep a spray bottle of this in the kitchen. I have black appliances. I spray them & clean & wipe dry with this mixture. Works wonders!! Also I keep a spray bottle full of white vinegar to use as window cleaner. Windex & Glass Plus doesnt work well any more. It will take a few cleanings with vinegar to get the scum off BUT after that you will have beautifully clean glass!,

• Leann Poff December 21, 2016, 12:38 pm

Forgot to say spray appliances & wipe with paper towels – they will be streak free & CLEAN

• Rose December 21, 2016, 5:48 pm

Thanks so much! I appreciate the additional tips!

• Dawn Miner January 17, 2017, 7:20 am

I have had a housekeeper come twice a month….just to “catch me up”. 😉 They use magic erasers (well, I buy the Dollar Tree brand…there are 2 and sometimes 3 in a box for a dollar) on my clear glass shower door and scrubbing bubbles. So now, I do that too…..it is really fast.

• Rose January 17, 2017, 9:17 am

Good to know the magic erasers work well, too! Thanks for sharing!

• Angel January 24, 2017, 9:33 am

Car wax used after cleaning will also help keep it sparkling clean.

• Rose January 24, 2017, 10:14 am

Awesome, thanks for the tip!

• Kristin Cook February 9, 2017, 1:31 pm

That is such a good idea! I don’t have a glass shower but if I get one eventually I will know what to do!

• Karen Fazio May 31, 2017, 5:26 am

If you have marble in your shower the Vinegar-Dawn mixture will dull the finish. Great on glass doors, but be careful with it on the marble.

• Rose June 2, 2017, 7:40 am

Thanks for the tip!

• jackie June 21, 2017, 9:01 am

thank you thank you! i have been looking for this! i am going to pick up the spray and make the dawn and vinegar mix to try out! i cannot get the soap scum off our shower!

• Heather W. July 20, 2017, 12:24 pm

Your shower and bathtub set up looks almost identical to ours! We just moved into our home a few months ago, and the previous owners kept the home, especially the bathroom, in great shape. However, even though I clean weekly (pretty similar to your cleaning list), I’m finding orange on the caulking on the bottom of the shower (where the tile meeets the fiberglass floor), and also what appears to be rust in the metal crack of the door. I really want to clean and maintain these problems. Do you have any experience with it and tips on how to handle it?

• Evelin November 14, 2017, 9:32 pm

I am so happy to have found you! I too find cleaning the shower to be my least favorite chore but your steps are nail on. Thank you!!! I have been using your shower glass cleaning directions for nearly a year now – since we remodeled the bathroom and opt for a shower glass. So sorry that I didn’t find the time to post a thank you note sooner! Better late then never, right?! 🙂

• Rose November 15, 2017, 11:29 am

I am SO glad to hear it!!